How much xylitol is poisonous to a dog?

The dose of xylitol that can cause hypoglycemia in the dog has been reported between 50 milligrams (mg) of xylitol per pound of body weight (100 mg per kg). The higher the dose ingested, the more the risk of liver failure. The most common source of xylitol poisoning that Pet Poison Helpline gets called about comes from sugar-free gum. With certain brands of gum, only 9 pieces of gum can result in severe hypoglycemia in a 45 pound dog, while 45 pieces would need to be ingested to result in liver failure. With other common brands of gum (which contain 1 g/piece of gum), only 2 pieces would result in severe hypoglycemia, while 10 pieces can result in liver failure. As there is a large range of xylitol in each different brand and flavor of gum, it is important to identify whether a toxic amount has been ingested.

“Xylitol is estimated to be 100 times as toxic as chocolate to dogs.”

Intake of very high doses of xylitol (225mg/lb or 500 mg/kg body weight) has been implicated in liver failure in dogs.
What should I do if my dog eats something containing xylitol?

xylitol_toxicity_in_dogs1If you suspect that your pet has eaten a xylitol-containing product, please contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline (800-213-6680) immediately.

Do not induce vomiting or give anything orally to your dog unless specifically directed to do so by your veterinarian. It is important to get treatment for your dog as quickly as possible. As some dogs may already be hypoglycemic, inducing vomiting can make them worse!
What are the symptoms of xylitol poisoning?

Symptoms of xylitol toxicity develop rapidly, usually within 15-30 minutes of consumption. Signs of hypoglycemia may include any or all of the following:

Vomiting
Weakness
Incoordination or difficulty walking or standing (walking like drunk)
Depression or lethargy
Tremors
Seizures
Coma

Axia3 tablets contain 2mg of xylitol per tablet.  This equals 45 X 2mg or 90mg of xylitol in one whole 45 count box.